- Katy Perry might as well just have been singing “LONG TIIIIIIIIIME I WILL LOVE YOU LONGGGGG TIMMMEEEEEEEEE” and mixing up her L and R sounds. That is how horrendously racist this performance was.
- This is absolutely no different than Miley Cyrus’ use of black female bodies in her We Can’t Stop music video and VMAs performance or Lily Allen’s use of black female bodies in her Hard Out Here music video or Selena Gomez’s use of South Asian culture in her Come And Get It music video. All of these videos and performances co-opt aspects of different cultures, cartoonize them, and then marginalize people from those cultures.
- I really honestly hope to see every single white feminist who vocally criticized Cyrus and Allen and Gomez out in full force against Katy Perry’s racist AMAs performance as well. Walk the talk.
- It is not a coincidence that the messages of Gomez’s Come And Get It and Perry’s Unconditionally are being used in conjunction with Orientalist imagery from Asian cultures. The literal messages from these songs — “when you’re ready come and get it” and “I will love you unconditionally” — are ripe for being used to feed the racist western stereotype that all Asian women are constantly sexually available and willingly subservient to men.
- When Perry bows and puts her hands together and cocks her head a little singing “I will love you unconditionally” at the end bit is just the subservient sexual availability of Asian women as it is understood in the west translated into pop choreography. That is what that is.
- This song is not an homage to Japanese culture. It is simply an orientalist portrayal of the Greatest Hits of Japanese Culture As (Mis)Understood in the West: there are geisha in vaguely kimono-looking-garments, paper parasols, imagery from the Great Wave off Kanagawa, and a torii. Nothing about it is truly authentic or respectful.
- This performance was a trainwreck and Katy Perry is a giant racist.
*Jesus does the cup song at the Last Supper* You’re going to miss me when I’m gone.
presidents and theaters don’t mix
if it’s not too much treble,
i’d really like to ‘B’ with you
h e L P
I just came up with the greatest joke ever and I’ve been laughing for 5 minutes straight would you like to hear it
what is kanye west’s favorite kind of omelette
i hope he bought that car for that pun